Wednesday, October 29, 2014

all gold everything


This post isn't about gold specifically, but I am currently (or maybe always) obsessed with gold. EVERYTHING. Especially as a color theme for an event. I just love the way it looks and that it can be paired with any color for even more fabulousness. Give me some gold glitter and I will go crazy....


In addition to loving everything gold, I love parties. Like, A LOT. Any type of party/event/meeting - I don't care. Count ME IN.  I also love planning and organizing anything {just ask my boyfriend}. Creating a spreadsheet  is one of my favorite things to do and I have learned that event planning truly is my calling and I am SO grateful to have found that calling.   

Now, what though? For the past few years I have struggled with turning this passion into an actual career. I have hit a lot of dead ends trying to find a corporate job as an event planner, because honestly, I just don't have the corporate experience that most companies are looking for. Helping family and friends with birthday parties, showers, bachelorettes, weddings, etc, unfortunately does not translate well onto a resume. If only my Instagram and Facebook albums could serve as my resume! 

I also never really thought I wanted to specialize in wedding planning - I didn't want to put myself into one category when I loved all events! But one beautiful day, I ended up helping two friends as their day of coordinator for their small, intimate wedding in San Jose. And, I loved it. I felt so comfortable in that role. I woke up the next day like, YES - I DID THAT. AND  IT WAS FUN. And, let's be honest, I love bossing people around and taking charge of situations {again, just ask my boyfriend}. It was then that I decided I wanted to explore this further and figure out if this was exactly what I wanted to do. 


 {the happy couple - Gaby & Eric - at their desert table - their color theme? GOLD}


LET'S REWIND .... About 6ish months before this happened, I met a Wedding Coordinator, which happened to be the sister of MY sister's close friend. I had been too shy and nervous at the time  to get her contact information even though when I find out she was a wedding planner, I wanted to talk to her more about her experiences. 

After helping G&E with their wedding, I realized I really did need to sync up with Christy and get some advice and guidance. Although I am really bad about meeting new people by myself, I got her contact information from my sister and shot her an email.

I {timidly} met with Christy in a local coffee shop, fresh new notebook and pen in hand, and we hit it off right away! I was comforted by her easy going manner and chatty personality. I had a feeling we already were on to something good.

I let her know I was eager to get some experience and find out just what was involved in being a wedding coordinator. She shared with me her own story of how she became a wedding coordinator and I was instantly inspired. We made arrangements for me to serve as her assistant coordinator for all her upcoming summer weddings. I was so stoked! {For the sake of not making this into a novel, I won't go into detail about each wedding I assisted her with, but will probably write separate blog entries about a few of them!}

By the way, Christy is an amazing Wedding Coordinator, with Allure Consulting, and I am so grateful that I began this journey with her. She has some serious experience up her sleeve, I mean she coordinated the weddings for BOTH founders of PINTEREST! Yes, Pinterest! I'll just let that soak in....

I learned so much in just the short time that we worked together. She was the best mentor I could ask for, and I also gained an amazing friend in the process! Unfortunately, she recently moved to Dallas, thus ending our wedding love affair, but I am happy to say that I feel confident in what I learned from her and know that she gifted me a a great foundation to start my own business. 

Here are some photos from the weddings I worked with Christy: 

 {my first wedding - Golden Gate Club, San Francisco}

 {lots of rustic charm at this Log Cabin wedding - Presidio, San Francisco}

{these cards took FOREVER to set up, but it's all about the details!}


 {simple, elegant wedding at Viansa Winery - Sonoma}



My next steps, aka get shit done!

1. Branding and finding the perfect LOGO!
2. Beautify the Blog 
3. Register for my wedding planning certification course 


follow my Pinterest board, {color themes} all gold everything

 xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment